SHE/AMAI SHE CHARTER & COMMITMENT
- AMAI Chlor-Alkali Plant OHS Goals and Policies –
- AMAI Safety Commitment –
- Charter on Corporate Responsibility for Environmental Protection (CREP) – Annexure III
Chlorine Emergency Response Network (CERN) & Toll Free Number 1800-11-1735
A Pan-India Chlorine Emergency Response Network (CERN) has been established and is functioning since 2012. All the chlor-alkali industries are partners in the Chlorine Emergency Response Network (CERN) and have committed to attend any chlorine emergency during transportation and use if it occurs near their plant irrespective of the source of supply or destination.
The chlor-alkali units have also enlisted some of their major consumers/ dealers in the network as “Assisted Unit” and trained their employees on safe handling of chlorine to mitigate emergency of any chlor-alkali products including chlorine during transportation and use.
The scope of Chlorine Emergency Response Network (CERN) has since been extended to cover all the chlor-alkali products namely, Caustic Soda Lye, Hydrochloric Acid, Sodium Hypo and Hydrogen besides chlorine. Any emergency during transportation of the above products will also be attended through the Chlorine Emergency Response Network (CERN).
CERN Toll Free Number 1800-11-1735
Any emergency arising during transportation or at consumer’s end is communicated by alerting on the toll free number 1800-11-1735. Any call made on the toll free number from any land phone and mobile phone is auto-diverted to the control room of the chlor-alkali unit nearest to the place of accident or the place from where the call is made. The emergency team is then dispatched for mitigation.
Publications on Safe handling of chlorine – important do’s & don’ts
- Guidelines for Chlorine Consumers for Handling Chlorine
- Checklist for Chlor-Alkali Industries for supply of Chlorine to Consumer industries
Copies of above publications are available from AMAI on request
Training and other services provided.
- Training on Safe handling of chlorine for small chemical plants and water works
- Emergency preparedness planning and implementation
- Mock drill on Emergency preparedness
- Safety Audit
- Water Audit
AMAI conducts regular Chlorine safety training programmes at various locations. To request for a training programme or attend a session, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “SAFETY TRAINING REQUEST”
Installation of GPS in Trucks / Tankers carrying Hazardous Chemicals
Chlor-alkali industries are installing GPS (Global Positioning System) in trucks/ tankers transporting chlorine & other chlor-alkali products for safe transportation. The fleet movement is monitored for speed of the vehicle, routes followed, unscheduled stoppage of vehicle, etc.
Tonner Tracking System
Chlorine produced at Caustic Chlorine plant is supplied in Tonners to consumers located at various locations throughout the country. Monitoring tonner movement and traceability is done by Chlorine Tonner Tracking System (CTTS). The key features of CTTS are:
- Consolidation of Chlorine Tonner inventory
- Accurate tracking of Tonners at various locations
- Follow up with consumers in case of longer detention
- Maintaining history sheets of tonners/cylinders
- Regular hydro-testing
Sharing of Best Practices in Chlor-Alkali Industries
Members of AMAI SHE Committee periodically visit chlor-alkali industries for observing the best practices which are then shared with other plants.
Occupational Health, Environment protection & safety regulations
The Association has compiled information on:
- Work Environment Exposure Limit
- Workplace measurement
- Chlor-Alkali (Caustic Soda): Emission Standards
- Ambient Air Quality Standard
- Standard for Solid Waste (Hazardous)
- Regulations for online monitoring
- Applicable Rules & Regulations
For information on the above please contact AMAI
Observation of important days
Chlor-alkali plants observe the following days every year:
- National Energy Conservation Day (14th December)
- Safety Day/ Safety Week (4th March)
- World Water Day (22nd March)
- National Fire Service Day (14th April)
- Earth Day (22nd April)
- World Environment Day (5th June)
- National Water Chlorination Day (20th September)
- Chemical Disaster Prevention Day (4th December)
During these occasions, plants conduct special campaigns involving local communities and stakeholders. These are covered in AMAI’S monthly publication, Alkali Bulletin.
For more information on the above please contact AMAI